1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Road to Game Art/Design

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Domino, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Domino

Domino CGO

Okie dokie guys and gals. I am currently looking for schools to attend to get some sort of degree for Game Art and/or Design. I have found one that I really like, but before I begin this journey, I want to come up with a list of game companies I wish to work for and their hiring criteria. I need to know their expectations and what kind of degrees and certifications they require. As far as what part of the job I am most interested in, currently I would like to do one of the following: Animation; 3D modelling; concept art; landscaping; or lighting. I have no idea if I will change direction once I'm actually in school, but these are the things that I want to do as of right now.

So, what I want to know is what are your favorite games/game companies? Do you have a favorite genre? What did you like most about the game (not in terms of plot, but in terms of the graphics or the gameplay itself).

I will update this thread with new information so you guys and see my journey to a career in gaming.

2. Domino

Domino CGO

Well, I found out today that 36 of my credits will transfer from my previous degree. This means that I can pretty much jump right into my field of study within the first 2 semesters without having to take the general education courses, such as Algebra and English and all that. Woohoo! This also cuts into the cost of tuition by a good chunk! Woo!!!!! Getting my new degree is becoming more and more attainable.

I shall know by Friday if I qualify for their scholarship, too. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

3. Dante Chaos

Dante Chaos RRS CTO Staff Member

Thats great news!

Hope you get that scholership.

4. Domino

Domino CGO

Thanks, Dante! Me too!

5. djman1010

djman1010 New Member

Good luck Domino! :D

6. Domino

Domino CGO

So, I have been selected for the scholarship. Great news! Bad news....I still need more scholarships in order to NOT go into any more debt for school. So the plan is to 1) Get my new computer built, probably within the next couple of months. 2)Make sure I know how much the 2013-2014 school year will cost me, since my taxes are different and this will affect my grants from the federal government. 3) Have a budget that I can execute flawlessly throughout school, even if I have to take out a loan, that will leave me with a zero balance at the end of my degree.

Looking at starting in the middle of summer or August of this year, if all goes well.

Thanks for your support, guys!

As another side note, I will be able to help out a lot more with the site, Dante. The degree I'm going for is Multimedia Design and Development, which includes web design as well as animation and 3D modeling and all that good stuff.

7. Dante Chaos

Thats awesome :D Hope school and such goes well then.

8. Xalx Aurion

Xalx Aurion Member

May luck be on your side. I hope things go well for you, Dom.

9. Steel

Steel RRS CEO Staff Member

Holy crap...he lives!!

10. Domino

Domino CGO

Thanks, Xalx!

Well, Steel and I ordered my computer yesterday! It should arrive sometime this week, if all goes well. Then I shall be able to put it together, download all my games, and be able to fully enjoy them! Plus, finish the art for the site :)

11. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Site Administrator

Yay!!!!

12. Domino

Domino CGO

Indeed! Just finished putting together my rig last night. I had a few heart attacks thinking I had really screwed up some hardware....but in fact Steel and I both over looked the power cable to the graphics card....

Then Steel thought he ruined it because he was looking at all the shiny buttons and decided to hit the reset button after I began installing Windows.....THAT was super scary.

But all is well, and I am installing drivers and will be updating Windows momentarily and downloading lots of fun stuff so I can draw again!!!!!

13. Dante Chaos

LOL nice one Steel.

Lucky windows isent that fubart that it wont work anymore. it will just redo the part it was doing.

14. Domino

Domino CGO

Indeed. All turned out just fine. It only took 3 days to download WoW.....

Anyway, next will either be Eve or Minecraft installed, whichever Steel and I agree upon. The other good news is that now I don't have to worry about getting a rig for school!

15. Dante Chaos

Glad to hear that.

If you are going to do eve i would suggest during your trial to talk to the guys from Eve university, they have really good groups to learn the ways of eve. (that and you can ask me of course same name as here)

16. Domino

Domino CGO

Sweet! Sounds good. I'm downloading all of my art programs today, too. Should be able to come up with some new banners and buttons for the site within the next week.