1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The World Ends With You (DS)

Discussion in 'Member reviews' started by ggyppt, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ggyppt

ggyppt New Member

[​IMG]

Story: Now, the story line of this game is one that you can’t tell anything about because it would spoil all of the surprise, but let me say, it has a lot of surprise. Even though this is made by SquareEnix, it is not their usual fanfare. To me, it seems like they were taking a step, story wise at least, like Squarsoft did with the first Parasite Eve (another great storyline). The story has its ups and downs, and had me in tears at points. 10/10

Battle System: The battle system is very complex, and kind of hard to describe, yet is not convoluted in useless menus. Actually, there aren’t any menus that you use in an actual fight. In battle, you play as two characters at the same time, Neku and whoever his partner is (Name is not shown for plot reasons). Neku, you use your stylist to use pins. Pins have many different effects based on the actions that you do, see pictures below. Now, on the top screen, you control his partner using either the d-pad or the abyx keys (depending on if you are left or right handed). Now, there is an auto battle function for the partner, but I found that within the first hour, I didn’t need it. 10/10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Graphics: Now, the graphics all look like they are hand drawn, and I think the game benefits from it. See pictures to see what I mean. 10/10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voice Acting/Acting: Now, there is very little voice acting in the game, with Neku being the only one to have a substantial amount of things to say. This is the one true drawback of the game. I would put this game as a perfect 100 if it was fully voiced, but it’s not. Even though the voices they have are great, there isn’t enough of them. 7/10

Character Development: 10/10, there is nothing else I can say without spoiling the plot

Concept Art: Not counting this because I have yet to see any concept art for the game. NA

Soundtrack: Now, I love the soundtrack, but I know a lot of people will hate it. The soundtrack is made up of catchy J-pop songs. As this is my review, I have to say 10/10

World Development: This game is a lost gem in this regard. A lot of people over look it, but the world, plot, battle system are all great. While some of the characters start off as typical molds, I don’t mind that as they progress into characters that I have not seen replicated in any game yet. 10/10

Overall Gameplay: Now, the gameplay, especially the combat, is very tight, and the controls are well mapped. Throughout the whole game, it didn’t require the L and R buttons, which at that point didn’t work anymore. I know that a lot of my friends have this same problem with their DSs, so it gives the game some credit. Also, I never felt like I had to remember the controls, I just knew them after they were explained. 10/10

Replay Value: I have played this over 10 times, and I have given it to at least 3 of my friends who have played it 2-3 times each. 10/10

Closing statement: This is a must own for DS owners and a definate hidden gem for the library. This is also one of SquarEnix's finest games. 87/90

2. Dante Chaos

Dante Chaos RRS CTO Staff Member

hmm wonder if this is available in the Netherlands.
    Great review

3. ggyppt

ggyppt New Member

thanks and i have no idea